Saturday, October 11, 2008

Modern day persecution?

So I open up Firefox and on my Google homepage a CNN headline catches my eye: "Christians flee Iraqi City Rather Than Convert". Instantly my interest was piqued. Clicked the link. The headline on the page it opened read, "Christians flee Iraqi city after killings, threats, officials say." A little discrepancy? I think so. Read the article for yourself.

The article only speaks of the persecution, not of the Christian's motivations for fleeing. There is nothing derogatory in the article about Christians. Only on that one headline/link I saw on the CNN headline thingy I have on my Google home page. So who comprises who's journalistic integrity? A simple, fact-oriented article becomes tainted with a slanderous title and paints your entire perspective of the information presented. A perspective, mind you, which is not evidenced at all in the writing of the author of the article.

Is there a Biblical prerogative for the Christians to stay? For them to flee? I think both courses of action could be supported scripturally, both fleeing to keep one's family safe, or staying at the risk of one's life to share the Gospel. It seems to me, in that situation, a Christian should seek the Lord as to what should be done. In this case, I definitely would not be the one to cast the first stone...

No comments: